photo homebutton-2.png  photo meetdevanbutton.png  photo contact.png  photo cgandlolabutton-1.png

Wednesday, October 10, 2012

rare

Last week I had the rare opportunity to have some alone time with both girls on the same day. Lola had a doctor's appointment for a little diaper rash issue so Charleigh spent the morning with Dionne. 

Let me tell you, taking one baby to the doctor is a completely different story than taking two. She had that crinkly, paper covered table all to herself and I wasn't trying to keep two children from falling off of said table when the inevitable crinkly-paper-induced-glee set in. Completely different story. She chatted with the nurses, charmed the doctor, and studied everything intently until she was convinced she could use the stethoscope, thermometer, etc. better than the pros.
After we picked up C-bug, we found Paul working from home for the afternoon. Always love that. While Logan slept off her crinkly-paper hangover (so.much.excitement), C and I went to pick up lunch. And because I only had one baby, I didn't have to go to any of the fine dining establishments boasting the requisite drive-thru. Taking in one baby to pick up lunch to go? Completely different story. She charmed the worker making the subs, she had every businessman and construction worker waving tiny, little waves at her (isn't that funny how people do that?), she waved back and batted her eyes and won over every heart in the place. 
And as I drove home, I thought about how wonderful it was to give my full attention to each girl. Because, although I wouldn't trade having twins for anything, there are times when I feel torn. Trying to capture two expressions. Witness two reactions. Deciding who to pick up first when they're both crying or they both wake from a nap at the same time. Because, truthfully, so often they need me all at once and I have to choose. 
I love having twins. I love spending the day watching them interact with each other. But I loved having this reminder that they are so individual and need me so uniquely.  I loved giving my undivided attention to both sisters. It was nice to spend time with them without thinking 50 steps ahead for logistic's sake. It was an encouragement for my mothering heart to dote on both precious babies so intentionally. 
But when Logan finally woke up and joined us for lunch, Charleigh reached over to her sister to share some of her food. And in that sweet moment, it just made me so thrilled and unbelievably thankful that, as much as I love them separately, I get to love them together. 

1 comment:

  1. I LOVE this post. Oh my goodness, how true. You took the words right out of my mouth (but probably wrote them more eloquently!), this is exactly what it is to have twins. So proud of you, friend - what a blessing to share the unique joys and emotions of having twins with you!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...