photo homebutton-2.png  photo meetdevanbutton.png  photo contact.png  photo cgandlolabutton-1.png

Saturday, July 18, 2015

dear baby {drew}


Dear Drew-bee, 
I wrote a letter like this to your sisters when they were around two months old. As I write this, you're 19-months-old, sleeping soundly in your crib, 7 centimeters or so away from being a big sister. Not the baby anymore. But still, in so many ways, a baby. You've been a doll baby and now a tiny firecracker running around our house. 





I've been meaning to write this to you for months and months. I've kept a list of things I wanted to remember about your babyhood on my phone. And I'm sure you'll forgive my lack of writing about your baby and toddler years but, for the sake of my poor memory, I wish I had the chance to write a little more.  These last 19 months may be a bit of a blur compared to your sisters' first years but I have cherished every second and feel so happy to say we have all lived in the moment and soaked you in. You are adored--to put it simply. You were prayed for, hoped for, and expected...yet became the sweetest surprise we've ever been given. Our 'rebound baby.'  A miracle baby, really. We have watched you transform from an easy, quiet, sweet baby to a fiery, independent, opinionated toddler. {Which kind of threw us for a loop in the last two months, if we're being honest...} You sat back and watched this family move around you until you were ready to keep up and have your say. 





I remember watching you sleep when you were tiny. How you would tuck your thumbs between your pointer and middle finger. I don't know when you stopped doing that  but you slept like that for months. You were a great napper. Not so much a great night sleeper. But, eh, who needs sleep? You were and are a snuggle bug and still much prefer our bed to yours.  You were curious and almost shy at first. Peering at people through your eyelashes as you kept your head down.  You took in the world around you with a worried and concerned look on your face. 

{Also, you thought the soundtrack of the world outside the womb was the song 'Let It Go' on repeat. Because it was. Your sisters grew out of that phase but whenever it comes on now, you get really animated and sing 'go' along with it. Like it's the anthem of your birth year.}







You moved from being quiet and calm to being a huge goofball in a short period of time. When you're feeling real good about life, you have an amazing baby strut--you stomp around one arm swinging way behind you. You laugh at your daddy, your sisters, Howie, things that aren't really funny but are just hilarious to you. When I would nurse you, you would prop one of your feet up on my shoulder or under my chin. Because that's super comfortable for all involved. You still like to ride like that in your grandma's single stroller, with your feet way up by your ears.





Speaking of Grammy, she is by far your favorite person in the world and you literally squeal with joy when she walks in the door. Other favorites: Daddy, Lolo, Char-char, Katie, Noney, Mimi, Uncle Dustin...I get a spot way down the list. Way, way down. I'm cool with it, though. I only birthed you. And then nursed you for 12 months. No big thing. 

You went through a phase where when you were in your high chair ready for your food you'd just throw your pacifier. You get really excited about mealtimes. And speaking of your pacifier...you are definitely attached. We'll just deal with that at a later date though, yes?





You are thrilled and awed by new things every day. When you even saw the clouds out of our airplane window...I thought you would explode from the wonder of it. You kept saying, 'whoa, whoa' and pointing. So excited at your new discovery. 

Somewhere along the way, you've become a shoe girl. You love your shoes. You love to bring people their shoes to put on. You have a favorite pair of little green Tinkerbell ballet slippers from your Lou-lou that you wear every moment possible. They go with nothing but you don't care. 







Your big sisters dote on you and mother you and, in return, you are infatuated with them. You try so hard to keep up with them. You expect to be able to do anything they do and you're convinced you're 'big' like them. For a long time you let them get away with anything. Piling toys on you when you had zero defenses. Giving up bites of your snack or the toy you were playing with. Not so, anymore. Sorry, sisters. But you can hold your own. You were an easy, dream baby. But we are loving the sass and strength you are starting to show just as much. {Let's go a little easier on the sass, though, mmkk?}





I wondered how different it would be having one baby instead of two at the same time. Your sisters got a lot of attention  when we were out and about because they were cute (duh) but also because there were two of them. People lose their minds over twins. But apparently they do the same for red-headed, blue-eyed babes. You literally stop people in their tracks with that sweet face and spunky personality. 







You've taught me so much about being a mom and, somedays, I still can't believe God has trusted me with you. I can't wait to see you grow and change and become you. You are truly love and light and joy in this house. You make dance parties epic and bedtime sweet. We love you so much, baby Drew. I thank God every day that I get to be your mommy. 
Love and kisses,
Mama







No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...