photo homebutton-2.png  photo meetdevanbutton.png  photo contact.png  photo cgandlolabutton-1.png

Wednesday, January 25, 2012

beet and goat cheese salad

What I Ate Wednesday 
So after I wrote about the oats that changed my life last week, I promptly ate half a jar of Nutella. So much for getting back on the healthy eating bandwagon. Nutella is just so good. And I'm a firm believer it goes with pretty much anything (which is why it's so dangerous). But the next day I went to my sister-in-law's for lunch and she spoiled me with some homemade chicken orzo soup and an arugula-beet-goat cheese salad. And I thought those oats changed my life. This salad was amazing. I've never liked beets but, paired with the goat cheese, arugula, and the dressing she made, they were scrumptious. I highly recommend anyone needing a salad makeover try this.


 The original recipe is from Giada. I love her. I would like to be her when I grow up. And to make this salad even better...my sister-in-law put chia seeds {!} in the dressing because she's healthy like that. {She's also wonderful and sent me home with my own little bit of chia seeds to try. I'm definitely going to try the banana oats with the chia seeds and see if there's a difference.}

Miriam's not only healthy but fancy, too.

In other food related news, my sister has started eating gluten free. She's had some random health issues over the last few years and I've definitely noticed a difference in her skin when she's eating g-free. {At one point, she was convinced she was allergic to the sun. And grass.} You can read about her journey here. When she came over for a breakfast date and to watch some recorded highly educational and edifying television shows that may or may not involve certain leanings toward reality TV, I tried my hand at making gluten free waffles. Despite having a more sponge-y consistency than regular waffles, these suckers were really good and really flavorful. Thank goodness for almond flour.Try 'em out. You won't regret it. 



http://allrecipes.com/recipe/almond-flour-waffles/detail.aspx
And that jar of Nutella is long gone making it safe for me to jump back on the healthy eating wagon. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...