photo homebutton-2.png  photo meetdevanbutton.png  photo contact.png  photo cgandlolabutton-1.png

Friday, February 24, 2012

the bump

 
 So...since a few people have asked, I thought I'd clear up any wonderings anyone might have about C's bump.  {Or her "bug bite" as our friend's two-year-old calls it. Must have been a reeeeally big bug.} A lot of people are sweet and pretend they don't notice it. {P-dubs and I were at lunch with one of his co-workers last week and Paul mentioned something about her bump and he said, 'Oh, I didn't even notice...' Puh-lease. You're sweet, not blind. That thing is hard NOT to notice.} 

The technical term for this bump is infantile haemangioma (hemangioma). Most people just call it a strawberry mark. It's an overgrowth of blood vessels and will eventually fade away. It's most common in Caucasians--particularly females and twins. No one is quite sure the cause of strawberry marks but our pediatrician has assured us that it's nothing to worry about and that it doesn't bother her a bit. 

Some people are quite taken back by it...I guess since it grew slowly, I don't really notice it. I notice that girl's wicked long eye lashes and silly, expressive face first. For now, it's a pretty convenient way for people who don't know the girls that well to tell them apart. It's the only way our little nephew knows which baby is which. For all the complications that could have come with a twin pregnancy, I'll take this. She's our little unicorn. {Not a little rhinoceros as P-dubs once called her until I kindly pointed out that it didn't have quite the same connotation as a unicorn. Kind of like when he called me a manatee. He means well. But we'll stick with unicorn.}

2 comments:

  1. My sister had a "strawberry mark" on her leg... quite a bit larger. It lasted a few years then faded away. They are both beautiful.... don't sweat it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had a strawberry mark on my arm when I was little. I can still tell you exactly where it was because it's kind of squishy there. :) I think it's kind of cute actually, especially considering it helps tell those two cuties apart!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...