photo homebutton-2.png  photo meetdevanbutton.png  photo contact.png  photo cgandlolabutton-1.png

Wednesday, September 12, 2012

the mundane


Last night, while reading in one of my devotionals, I came across this little gem. And as I was on my 5th load of laundry for the day and 2nd load of dishes, it couldn't have come at a better time. 

"Ministering in everyday opportunities that surround us does not mean that we select our own surroundings— it means being God’s very special choice to be available for use in any of the seemingly random surroundings which He has engineered for us. 

The things Jesus did were the most menial of everyday tasks, and this is an indication that it takes all of God’s power in me to accomplish even the most common tasks in His way. Can I use a towel as He did? Towels, dishes, sandals, and all the other ordinary things in our lives reveal what we are made of more quickly than anything else. It takes God Almighty Incarnate in us to do the most menial duty as it ought to be done."
                                                                                                                          ~Oswald Chambers


I think it's easy for moms who stay home (but, honestly, anyone) to look around and wonder how this matters in the grand scheme of things. We look at our surroundings and think, gosh, I used to get up and go do important work. And now I rinse diapers out and chase babies up stairs and take the trash out and do laundry, laundry, laundry. I consider the day a success when I'm able to clip three fingernails on one babies' hand. I wash dishes and floors and tiny, sticky hands and mouths. And I love it. But do I consider it my ministry right now? Because  I should. Can I use a towel as He did? Jesus washed feet, for crying out loud. Gross, dirt, dusty sandle feet. And it was important. 

Am I so hidden in Christ that even the most mundane tasks are done in a way that points to Him? Am I relying on His strength to do this important work of being a mom? Wherever you are, whatever you're doing-- that is the important work you've been called to do today--even if it's the most un-important thing you can imagine doing. So, with that, I'm off to try to clip 17 more fingernails as it ought to be done. Help me, Jesus. 

1 comment:

  1. Love that we are reading the same devotional :) I've read it since high school but Oswald STILL just always know what to say!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...