photo homebutton-2.png  photo meetdevanbutton.png  photo contact.png  photo cgandlolabutton-1.png

Monday, January 9, 2012

i'm gonna miss this

On Friday, I packed up my precious little gummy bears and took them to school. It only took us practically the whole day to make sure we were all dressed in real clothes. I went in to tell my principal that I wouldn't be returning at the end of my maternity leave. {Did I mention it took almost all day to get us out of the house?} This is honestly bittersweet for me. I love teaching. I LOVE my kids. Yes, the nature of public education these days has worn on me just like every other teacher I know...but I know I will miss it. There are definitely some things I won't miss, too. Like not being able to use the bathroom when I need to  or scarfing my lunch down so fast I don't taste it. {Wait a second...my days are still like that.} Top three things I will miss?

1. Being a rock star. Ask any teacher. Walking through the lunchroom is like being the most famous celebrity on the red carpet. {Kind of. Ok, not really.} Kids calling out your name left and right...waving to get your attention. It helps if you teach a younger grade because then you have previously-taught students sprinkled throughout the older grades that just MISS you and get so excited at a mere glimpse if you. By the time they reach 3rd, 4th, and 5th grade they have conveniently forgotten how 'mean' you were when you made them behave and forced them to work their little booties off.
2. Twenty-two good morning hugs and 22 good-bye hugs (with a few in between).

3. The things they say. Like this. And this. And stories like this. And this. I found this little gem on my phone.

'The badger is a very dangerous animal cause...'


Did you get all that? Good. That's a pretty good report for a second grader. And a pretty good story, too.

I will miss this. And to be honest, it's scary going from two incomes to one. These next few years will be a lesson in trust every single day. But we're up for it because we serve a God who already has a plan for this little family.

Also a lesson: Badgers will eat you alive. Be careful out there.


4 comments:

  1. i KNEW you would decide to stay home. i'm proud of you for making the tough decision. i will miss you soooo much, but this is best for you and the babies. they need a sane (are you sane?? LOL) mommy raising them. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. AHHHH...enjoyed all parts of this blog. including the badger story:)! enjoy your gummy bears...and don't worry about dressing in real clothes most days...it's overrated!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just found your blog through Naptime Diaries:)
    Girl..your babies are PRECIOUS!!!
    I just wanted to encourage you in the "staying home" aspect. I've been staying home for almost 4 years now with my little 3. You won't regret it. I can promise you that. There will be hard days. But watching your babies grow up...nothing beats it :)
    I actually wrote a little post on staying home the other day. Scroll through the comments... I think you'll be blessed by what some of the women have to say :)
    Have a good week!!!

    http://www.thevanillatulip.blogspot.com/2012/01/staying-home.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! I read that post and it was really encouraging. And then I read a million more posts by you and was even more encouraged. Thanks, girl!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...